Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Self Diagnosis

 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uUqdAj7u8zI

PART 2: I figure I will have a cig before I go into the E.R. because we all know that is the equivalent of waiting in line at the D.M.V. Also with me not having an open wound, a a physically visible wound in general I would be pushed back in the line of "emergencies." We walk into the emergency room coughing from dust kicked up by my Grandmom squealing out of the parking lot to get to a garage sale. "Sign here, and put time and date," says the man in charge at Registration. It was Wednesday May 30, 2012, only ten days after my birthday. I will never forget because I specifically remember not knowing the date, asking the man, and him pointing to the "Time square Megatron" size calender behind him. Oops.... Embarrassing. So we sit down in the waiting room, which to my surprise only had 1 other person in front of me. Before I could even enjoy the Readers Digest circa 1982 my name was called to get this process started. Behind Registration was the initial nurse/vital sign check in. She took my temperature, listened to my pulse, and did that thing that goes around your arm and they pump it to that borderline of "that hurts a little" and tears until they figure some number as the air lets out. She also typed into her computer all my basic info, and then the reason for my visit. I showed her how I could not physically lift my arms above my shoulders. Told her how I couldn't put my hair in a ponytail, put on my sacred eyeliner, and that it took 2 hands to brush my teeth. There was no pain, I just simply could not do it, my body would not allow it. My sister and I follow her to a room in the E.R., she gets us settled and says a nurse will be in shortly. At this point I text my Mom, boyfriend, and a couple friends to let them know what was going on. The nurse comes in, , and says she is going confirm all my vitals, and draw some blood. Immediately my upper lip starts to sweat and I start to get dizzy, like I knew it was coming but so soon? I just got here! Better to get it over with, as I give myself the old "calm it down" pep talk. It feels like ten years before she comes back in with the empty tubes and the rest of the fixin's to take my blood. My sister is trying to distract me as the nurse ties that rubbery band around my arm and starts tapping away to try to find a vein. Eww! This part alone makes me want to pass out. When I was about 10 I watched this Lifetime Movie about a drug addict who shot up all the time so she would always be tapping up her own arms, it scarred me for life. So four needle pricks later she can't find a vein, I swear I'm gonna pass out, and they call in another nurse to try. I guess five is my magic number because that's how many times it took. They took my blood and started giving me fluids with an IV. Now at this point I didn't think anything of it, but my friend Charisse said, "I knew it was something right then and there because they don't give you an IV and fluids if your not going to be there for a while." This is when the Dr. first comes in, asks me to do a series of simple arm exercises, asks basic questions, and says she will return shortly. Now I probably checked in around 10 AM, it's now noon and my Mom is telling me she has to pick up my sister and drop her off, and then she will come back to stay with me. I couldn't believe she wanted me to sit here by myself ! But then again you have to remember we all just thought I was there for a pinched nerve, not Cancer.    TBC...

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Has any nurse ever found a vein of the Maloneys' on the first try? None excluding Martha of course.