Saturday, June 16, 2012

THE SH*T IS BANANA'S

 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kgjkth6BRRY
Yesterday I had to get a "bone marrow extract" taken from my back. The so called simple procedure included me laying on my side while they give me 3 local anesthetic needles in between the dimples in my back  to numb the pain and then one long needle that goes into my bone to then extract the marrow. You can't move for the chance of paralysis...  The Dr. says yes the needles are uncomfortable but it is actually "pain membrane" inside the marrow that will be excruciating pain for 15 - 20 seconds. SWEET. Now of course they don't put you to sleep for this... you are just expected to lay there and not move while they chisel a needle in my spine.  Growing up my Dad raised us on the sheer thought that ADD and Depression don't exist.. "Heather kids get hyper and people get sad sometimes".. hahaha old school. Now growing up sharing relationships with the variety of friends and people I know myself that as many people take advantage of the "happy pill" extravaganza there is a good percentage of people who clearly have a chemical imbalance. My mind becomes swamped with the thought of Cancer, a mix between sad, anxious, the tests, the appointments, the procedures, just overwhelmed. My Dr. says it is totally normal to have a sort of "mood stabilizer" for my emotional battle with Cancer. The first thought that comes to mind is that I will be just like Dr. Leon Marvin from "What About Bob" (just the 1 of the all time greatest movies) at the end when Bob is marrying his sister Lily and he comes out of the wheel chair coma to try to stop the wedding.Lets get real here though... if I'm gonna be laying on my back dead still with a needle I am fully going to allow myself to take a nightcap. Because truly our focus determines how we face the victories and defeats in our life. All I had to remember was this was going to be 15 minutes of my life and then it would be over. I can do 15 minutes. So I took the tiny pill.... felt like David after the Dentist.... and counted 11 M-I-S-S-I-S-S-I-P-P-I  and randomly kept remembering to stay still thinking of Forrest Gump saying "but Lieutenant Dan you ain't got no legs!". Dr. Tubb (who my son insists on calling Dr. Bath haha) was smooth, efficient and quick. When he said it was done I said FANTASTIC! The Dr., nurse, and my Mom ( who was hiding in the corner because she didn't want to see the blood ....totally fine by me) said that no one had ever said that that procedure was "FANTASTIC" and that he was going to put that in his records as a first. I sailed out of there like Marty McFly on a hover board, with one less big procedure under my belt. When we strive for excellence and give our best effort, losing hurts, but it doesn't have to harm us. The key is where we set our minds and hearts." -David McCasland ..... Because really I AIN'T NO HOLLERBACK GIRL!

4 comments:

Rebecca Goren said...

This is amazing, you are so strong woman! I think of you everyday :)

Maloneyheather27@gmail.com said...

thanks Becca!<3

Unknown said...

Hey! I'm soo sorry your going through this. Bone marrow biopsies are soo awful. I don't even like looking at them. I work in bone marrow transplant. If you ever had any questions just let me know. I would definitely take something. Everyone diagnosed with cancer is depressed. How could you not be. The thing is though, the people who don't recognize this get really depressed and eventually stop taking care of themselves which is the worst thing you can do. Patients who do take something and stay motivated do much better. You're one tough cookie so I'm sure you're going to do great. My thoughts and prayers are with you!~Liz

Maloneyheather27@gmail.com said...

Awww thanx Liz... you know one thing I fully understand is looking good is feeling good lol